What You Need To Know About Household Poisoning
Article By: Dr. Joseph Bales, Baylor Scott & White Health Emergency Department Physician
Have you ever said…
“Help, I just found a pill in my toddler’s mouth!”
“I found an open bottle of cleaner next to my daughter, what do I do?”
“My son is vomiting and I think he may have chewed on a detergent pod!”
“I accidentally drank some pesticides thinking it was my soda!”
What to do to save the day!
These are just a few examples of poisoning that can and do occur every day in the home, prompting thousands of emergency department visits every year.
Sometimes kids may get into pills, liquids, poisons, button batteries, or even plants in the home. Or perhaps the patient accidentally doubled a dose of medicine, spilled something on the skin, got bit by a snake, or took expired medicine.
When these things happen, often the right answer is to go to the emergency department where the healthcare team can help. Sometimes that visit can be aided or avoided with a free call to the Texas Poison Center Network (1-800-222-1222) or by visiting to the poison control website (www.poison.org). Experts can give lifesaving information over the phone immediately to help yourself or your loved one.
Here are some simple steps to keep you and your family safe:
– Lock up medicines and household products and keep out of the reach of children.
– Store all products in their original containers.
– Keep button batteries away from children.
– Always read the label, expiration date, and dosing instructions on all medicines.
– Install carbon monoxide alarms.
– Don’t mix products, medicines, or cleaners.
Be safe and use prevention to avoid poisonings. Remember to call poison control or seek help immediately if you have concerns about poisoning, toxins, or ingestions.