Super Easy Crockpot Shredded Chicken
Recipe by Lizzie West
This is the perfect recipe for making in bulk and reusing with so many different dishes. It’s great for easy tacos, but it would be excellent over a taco salad, or even with rice and beans. It’s a family favorite and so easy to make – it only takes 5 minutes! So, you can set it up between your morning to-do list and checking on your kiddos’ school work in the afternoon. It’s excellent for pairing with some tasty margaritas, too! *wink wink*
What you’ll need:
2-3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (you can also use frozen if that’s what you have)
16 oz. jar of salsa – we use mild, but go as spicy as your family prefers
1 packet of your favorite taco seasoning (you can use low sodium if heart healthy is important)
Instructions (Yes, it’s really this easy):
– Plug in your crockpot and use a liner for extra-easy clean-up.
– Place chicken in the bottom of the crockpot, pour the jar of salsa and taco seasoning on top.
– Set crockpot to on high for 2-4 hours (2-3 hours for fresh chicken, 3-4 hours for frozen chicken)
– Forget about it for a while and enjoy when it starts to smell amazing.
– Once the chicken appears ready (you can check it with a meat thermometer – 165°F), use two forks to shred the chicken.
-Serve as desired with taco toppings, salad, or your favorite rice and beans!
*You can easily double this recipe for bigger families or to freeze and use later. It’s great to pair with fresh veggies from your new garden!