Crustless Sausage Mushroom Quiche
Recipe modified from https://bakingbites.com/2009/03/sausage-and-mushroom-crustless-quiche/ by Lizzie West
We love this crustless quiche recipe – not just for breakfast or a fancy brunch, but it’s also a tasty and non-traditional option for BRINNER (breakfast for dinner)! Check out the modifications we have made to accommodate some difficult dietary needs, for your dairy or gluten-free family and friends.
Servings – 4
Prep Time – 20 minutes
Cook Time – 35 minutes
Total Time – 55 minutes
1/2 medium purple onion, diced (1/2 cup)
6-oz sliced button mushrooms (1 cup)
1 medium tomato, large dice
approx 12-oz sausage
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup all purpose flour (can use gluten free or other non-wheat flour)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1 1/3 cups milk (low fat or unsweetened almond milk is fine)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Lightly grease a 10-inch quiche/tart pan (or a 9-inch pie plate)
3. In a medium frying pan, cook onion and mushrooms with sausage over medium-high heat until onions are translucent and tender; mushrooms and sausage are browned (sausage should be crumbled as well). Add tomatoes and set aside to cool for a few minutes.
4. In a large mixing bowl, beat 2 egg whites until they form soft peaks. In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, flour, baking powder, paprika, and salt. Whisk in milk, then fold into egg whites.
5. Add sausage mixture and pour quiche base into prepared pan. Top with Parmesan cheese (optional).
6. Bake for 25 minutes (30-35 minutes in a pie plate), or until center is set and the outside edge is golden brown.
Let set for 5 minutes, then slice and serve. Salt and pepper to taste.
NOTE: If you would like to add a sweet potato crust – check out Step 2 on Page 25 of Brazos Wellness Spring 2020!