Cooking For Two: Part 2
Recipes To Add To Your Repertoire
By Hannah Holbrook
Now that you have the essentials squared away, let’s dive into a couple of recipes you two can try together. Over time you can remake the recipes and they may become staples in your recipe rotation. Or you may decide to make some tweaks to the original and make it a symbol of your commitment to grow together for a lifetime!
Brioche French Toast
Original Recipe | theworktop.com/breakfast-brunch-recipes/brioche-french-toast
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 1-inch slice brioche bread
- 1 knob butter – for cooking
- maple syrup
- fresh berries
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs together well. Beat in the milk, sugar and vanilla.
- Layer the brioche bread in a single layer across a large baking dish (I use my 9-inch x 13-inch bakingpan). Gently pour the egg mixture over the bread slices. Allow to soak for 2 minutes. Gently flip using a spatula. Allow to soak an additional 2 minutes. Tip the pan around if needed to help the bread absorb the egg mixture. The bread should soak up all of the egg mixture.
- Heat a large skillet on medium to medium-high heat. Melt a knob of butter on it. Gently transfer all 4 brioche french toast to the pan. Cook until the bottom is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until the other side is also golden brown, about 3 minutes. If you feel like your french toast is browning too quickly, turn the heat down.
- Serve immediately. Top with butter, maple syrup and fresh berries, or use your favorite toppings.
Creamy Bacon Carbonara
Original Recipe | damndelicious.net/2014/03/29/spaghetti-carbonara/
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh
- parsley leaves
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to packageinstructions; reserve 1/2 cup water and drain well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and Parmesan; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes; reserve excess fat.
- Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 1minute. Reduce heat to low.
- Working quickly, stir in pasta and egg mixture, and gently toss to combine; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add reserved pasta water, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.